top of page

File a Claim

If you believe that you have been harmed in anyway through your military experience, you have the right to file a claim for treatment and compensation with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). A claim can be filed at any time and there is never a charge to file a claim. You can submit your claim to any VA office or medical center on VA Form 21-256. It can also be done by mail, after requesting the appropriate forms from the VA or the RAO. Most telephone directories will list the nearest VA facilities under "US Government." Or, you can get most information online at: Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). Assistance of a Veterans Service Officer (VSO) may also be sought. In fact, it is encouraged. All major veterans’ organizations ( Disabled American Veterans, American Legion, VFW, AMVETS, etc) have service officers authorized by the VA to act in behalf of the veteran. In addition, many state and county government agencies have VSO's. Once again, there is never a charge for the assistance of the VSO. If you feel that your claim is not being handled properly, you should not hesitate to find a different VSO to assist. In some cases individuals other than veterans can use VA services.

The Veterans Service Officer acts as an advocate for veterans and their dependents. The Officer provides technical assistance in obtaining a wide range of entitled veteran benefits, such as: disability compensation re-opened claims VA pensions and home loan applications dependency and indemnity compensation burial benefits hospitalization, medical, counseling and rehabilitation care correction of military records military retirement issues awards and decorations reemployment rights The Veterans' Van, used to transport veterans to medical facilities in the area, may be reserved by calling 1-800-325-7940 at least 48 hours prior to departure time.

The Veterans Service Officer for Shoshone County is a part-time position and acts as an advocate for veterans and their dependents. The Officer provides assistance in obtaining a wide range of entitled veteran benefits. Please contact the VSO at (208) 752-3331 to schedule an appointment, or for information.

Welcome to the Bonner County Veterans Service!

We are excited you decided to look into our office. Cick on button for a description of : Services offered, Frequently asked questions, Upcoming Veteran Events, VA News Releases, and Other Important Links.

“Serving Bonner County Veterans, One Hero at a Time”

Our Vision

Caring for America's Heroes

Our Mission

We are dedicated to serving Idaho’s veterans and their families by providing superior advocacy, excellent assistance with benefits and education, high quality long-term care, and respectful interment services in a dignified final resting place.

The Office of Veterans Advocacy is a full-service state agency that helps veterans, their family members and survivors. As an advocate we aggressively pursue all federal and state benefits and entitlements on their behalf.

Here you can find the latest news and contacts for the local Idaho area. Anything and everything that pertains to service organizations and contact information can be found in the service bulletin. Also legislative information can be found in the service bulletin as well.



The Fully Developed Claims (FDC) program is an optional initiative that offers Veterans and survivors faster decisions from VA on compensation, pension, and survivor benefit claims.

Veterans and survivors simply submit all relevant records in their possession, and those records which are easily obtainable, such as private medical records, at the time they make their claim and certify that they have no further evidence to submit. VA can then review and process the claim more quickly.

Request Your Military Service Records Online, by Mail, or by Fax

(Includes DD 214/Separation Documents, Personnel Records, Replacement Medals, and/or Medical Records)

bottom of page